SQL Injection (SQLi) is among cyberspace’s most common attacks. SQL Intrusion (SQLi) refers to an injection attack where an attacker can execute malicious SQL statements (also commonly known as malicious payload) that control the database server of a web application (also commonly known as the Relational Database Management System – RDBMS). Any website or web application weakly protected that allows use of a SQL-based database could be vulnerable to SQL Injection. This is one of the vulnerability categories with the most common and oldest. It is also one of the most dangerous drawbacks to website use.
When a hacker considers a SQL Injection Attack, he / she can use it to bypass authentication and authorization mechanisms of a web application. It will totally give him / her the ability to get back the contents of a whole database. This injection can also add, change and delete records in a database – affecting the integrity of the data.
When I examine the capabilities of a SQLi attack extensively, it will definitely provide the hacker with unauthorized access to sensitive data such as consumer data , personal identifiable information (PII), trade secrets, intellectual property, and many other sensitive data. That such facts can be used against me is absolutely terrifying.
How SQL Injection Happens
A database server is a requisite to run malicious SQL queries. Firstly, the hacker must find an entry within a SQL database that is included inside the web application. For a SQL Injection attack to occur, the insecure website needs to provide user feedback inside a SQL statement straight away. The hacker will then be able to attach a payload that will be used in the SQL query and run against the database server.
The following pseudo-code on the server side is used for certifying users to the web application.
As I cite examples, the above script is a basic example of authenticating a user with a username and password against a database with a table named users and a column of usernames and passwords.
A basic example of a payload for SQL Injection could be anything as basic as setting the password field to OR 1=1.
This will result in running the following SQL query against the server at the database.
The hacker can also comment out the rest of the SQL statement to further monitor the SQL query execution.
Upon execution of the test, the result is returned to the application to be processed. This can result in bypass authentication. In case authentication bypass is necessary, the application most likely logs the hacker in from the query result with the first account. In a database, instead, the first account is normally an administrative person.
The worst things SQL can do for a hacker
Structured Query Language ( SQL) is a structured language of programming used to handle relational databases and to perform different operations on the data in them. It was initially produced in the 1970’s. SQL is used by database managers on a daily basis, as well as by developers writing scripts for data integration, and data analysts seeking to create and check analytic queries.
I should always remember that it’s easier to understand how beneficial an effective SQL Injection attack can be for an attacker while considering the following.
- SQL Injection may be used by the hacker to deviate authentication or even to impersonate real users.
- One of the primary functions of SQL is to pick data based on a query, and to output the query response. A vulnerability in SQL Injection could allow data stored on a database server to be exposed in full.
- Because web applications use SQL to modify data within a database, SQL Injection could be used by the hacker to alter data stored in a data base. Changing data affects data integrity and may cause repudiation problems, such as transaction cancelations, balance changes, and other documents.
- SQL serves to remove records from a database. The hacker can use a weakness in the SQL Injection to remove data from a database. Even if a suitable backup strategy is implemented, data deletion may affect the functionality of an application before the database is restored.
- Some database servers are configured (intended or otherwise) to allow arbitrary execution of the data base server operating system commands. The hacker could use SQL Injection as the initial vector in an assault of an internal network that stands behind a firewall, due to the proper conditions.
Some important things to bear in mind
I am trying to teach in this blog that security is just as critical as anything else. Around the same time, there are several ways to practice cyber security and industry. I recommend you only devote ample time and patience to research the changing technology for successful change. The attack is a valid point for testing the protection of my website.