Websites present a lucrative option for hackers, particularly business websites. Websites present a lucrative option for hackers, particularly business websites. They deal with money and confidential consumer data, which can place enterprise reputations at risk when website security is breached.
Simply put, the security audit for the website matters. It is your job to check the security status of the website from time to time by using the correct methods of testing and security tools. Your e-business will be in grave danger if you do not, before you even realize it. Therefore, let’s look at how both of these roles can be fulfilled in this blog.
Testing Methods and Website Security Tools
- Application Login Testing
- Contact Form Testing
- Credential Encryption Testing
- User Session Testing
- Testing Against Popular Website Attacks
- Access Permission Testing
By Employing Website Testing Methods
This is also known as penetration testing of websites or web applications. Here, to test your website security, you employ a group of trained professionals known as ethical hackers. These individuals understand your website’s weak points very well and make your website safe enough against different security threats by checking them.
Some of the website security tests they conduct include:
- Application Login Testing: One of the most critical areas of your website or application, which when compromised, can expose sensitive user information to hackers. Also, basic website security check like account lockout after a specific number of unsuccessful login attempts should be tested.
- Contact Form Testing: This is another area which needs to be tested for security issues. Enterprises often make the mistake of not testing contact forms properly, since they are not critical when compared to other elements. This is the wrong approach, and contact form testing should be a part of any website security testing process.
- Credential Encryption Testing: This type of testing ensures the integrity of the credential encryption process you employ – the one which ensures user credentials are transferred securely over the internet (using https) without falling into wrong hands.
- User Session Testing: Another test for ensuring the integrity of user sessions. That is, ensuring technicalities like session termination immediately after users log out, session termination after prolonged user inactivity and other such things.
- Testing Against Popular Website Attacks: Probably the most important of all. This is where ethical hackers will simulate popular website attacks like Brute-Force, DDoS, SQL Injection and others, and check how your website fairs against these attacks. They will give you advice to improve your security accordingly.
- Access Permission Testing: Ensure you provide hierarchical based access permission to your website. For example, the webmaster team should probably have full-access permission while others should be provided only role-based access. Nothing more or nothing less. Since this is one of the areas which can be easily exploited.
By Using Website Security Tools:
In addition to these testing techniques, with the help of numerous online website security tools, there are other ways to test your website security as well. These tools test your website’s security posture within a matter of minutes and warn you to any security threats that might occur.
But companies should be smart enough to choose only those who are the best in the field, including our very own web inspector, when subscribing to the services of such website protection tools. Otherwise, you’ll get the wrong idea about your website’s security posture.
Comodo Web Inspector Offers:
- Daily testing of malware to screen for viruses or malware infections. When an issue is found, you will be promptly informed.
- Blacklist Monitoring-to verify the online credibility of your website by conducting an exhaustive blacklist monitoring check to ensure that major search engines such as Google and Yahoo do not blacklist your website.
- If you’ve been blacklisted, you will automatically be informed.
- Web Inspector also implements a full-fledged PCI Scan Enforcement solution operated by HackerGuardian, PCI Compliance Scanning.
- This helps you to consider the degree to which your company website complies with PCI requirements (extremely crucial for online merchants). (The standard version is not available*).
- Trust Seal and 24/7 Telephone Support-You also get a trust seal from the Web Inspector Scan using which you can visually communicate your website to your customers, which is safe, secure, checked and can be trusted.
- This will provide them with the confidence to visit your website again. Then there’s even the 24/7 customer service. (The standard edition is not available for both of these features*).
- Use the Web Inspector to conduct website security checks. Keep your malware free on your website.