How do you clean a Magento site that has been hacked?
Magento Malware Prevention — If you’ve been hacked from Magento, this is the place to fix it. A hacked website can cause loss of trust and financial loss for eCommerce merchants. Hacked websites are not recommended for customers.
Website visitors won’t feel inclined to share credit card information if your site accepts credit card payments. Customers may file lawsuits against you if their data is stolen or misused. You will also need to comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard Standard (PCI DSS).
Magento is an open-source platform for e-commerce. Magento is secure and stable and has strong security features. However, Magento websites do get hacked.
Check first if your Magento Site was hacked. Also, make sure that the issue is not related to hardware, software, or operating system issues. You must ensure that your Magento website is always up-to-date. Make sure to immediately update your Magento website. Extensions and plug-ins that are out of date or not working properly could cause problems. After you’ve done that, check for the following symptoms.
Magento Website/Webstore Hack – Signs of Compromise
- Homepage Defacement: Your homepage has been compromised. This could be a hate attack, or simply for fun.
- Your website host suspends your website for malicious activity
- Major browsers can blacklist/block your site
- Accounts of unauthorized administrators
- Customers voice concerns about the misuse of their credit cards details
- The checkout page displayed suspicious behavior
- Shop cart abandonment rates are on the rise
- Unauthorized code on your website
If you see any of these symptoms, your Magento website is hacked.
How to clean and fix Magento websites
You can fix a defaced website by restoring it from a backup. This type of problem is not usually linked to ransomware attacks. Your website will have a poor reputation.
Take a complete backup of your website files, server logs, and database immediately. Although you may be using regular/automatic backups to back up your server logs and database, this backup is vital.
These logs are crucial for analyzing the details of the compromise.
Verify administrator/user accounts: Both user accounts and administrator accounts must be verified. All accounts you, or any authorized personnel, have not created should be deleted. It is best to only have one administrator account. Most likely, the hacker would have created an administrator account to conduct the nefarious activity. You should delete any user accounts that you do not need.
You should check for file modifications: Threat actors may have infected malware. Therefore, you need to inspect for any file modification. It is possible that the core integrity of your computer could be compromised.
Updated Magento Software/Plugins and Extensions Only keep the essentials and remove all others.
Shared hosting: If you’ve hosted your website through a shared hosting company, you might want to consider switching. Your website could be vulnerable to attacks from other websites hosted on the same server.
Install Comodo cWatch Web Security:
- Next, you must get Comodo cWatch Web Security. To install the license on your computer, you will need to first purchase it. You can try the product for 30 days.
- It includes a web application firewall (WAF), which acts as a fortress against all persistent advanced threats. SQL Injection, Cross-Site Scripting (DDoS), Denial-of-Service, Denial-of-Service, and application targeting attacks are all blocked.
Set up Comodo cWatch Web Security:
- Register your Magento site. Next, select/provide the correct HTTP protocol. This completes the initial configuration.
- The name of your domain/website is displayed on the Comodo cWatch Web Security Dashboard.
Configuration for cWatch scanning
- To allow cWatch to scan your Magento website, you’ll need to upload a.php file.
- This scan will identify all vulnerabilities and malware on your site. Then, you can take the appropriate remedial actions.
- cWatch has an automatic malware removal feature, where experts from Comodo Cyber Security Operation Center will inspect and remove any malware.
Analyse Server Log/Activity log
CSOC experts will review your logs and give you a report about the malware and details regarding the hack.
Data Breach Detection
If a data breach is detected, it is recommended to warn your customers about the possibility of data compromise.
Revoke Website Suspension
After you have fixed and cleaned up your website, you can contact your hosting company to request the suspension be lifted.
Backup and Recovery Policy
Backups must be stored in at least two locations to ensure a solid backup and restoration policy.
Absolute website protection
Comodo cWatch Web Security is a cloud-based security solution fully managed by the Comodo Cyber Security Operations Center (CSOC). It is offered as a security-as-a-service delivery model (SaaS) model and provides 24/7/365 monitoring and support. Managed security services offer complete protection for your website, allowing you to concentrate on your core business.