Vulnerability evaluation helps devices, network infrastructure, applications, and hardware systems to identify, categorize, and define the security gaps, known as vulnerabilities. When vulnerabilities are found as part of the risk evaluation, then this illustrates the need to report risk. Such reports are typically carried out by individual organizations, such as the company that found the vulnerability or the CERT (Computer Emergency Readiness Team). Such vulnerabilities are becoming the primary source for malicious activities such as website breaking, programs, LANs etc.
6 Quick steps for determining any network’s vulnerability
- Identify and incorporate your business or industry strategy such as how it is organized and operated.
- Trace the data, systems and applications that are exercised throughout the entire business practice
- Examine the unrecognized data sources that enable for easy entry into the protected information
- Classify both the physical and virtual servers running the critical business applications
- Track all existing security measures already in place
- Inspect the network for vulnerabilities
Top 8 Vulnerability Scanner Tools
- Nexpose Community
- Tripwire IP360
- Nessus Professional
- Retina CS Community
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
The Nexpose vulnerability scanner, developed by Rapid7, is an open source tool used to search the vulnerabilities and perform a wide range of network tests.
- Nexpose can be used in a Metaspoilt system
- This takes into account the age of vulnerability such as the malware kit is used in this, what advantages it provides, etc. and addresses the problem based on its priority
- This will automatically identify and search the latest devices and determine the vulnerabilities when they enter the network
- This tracks the disclosure of vulnerabilities in real-time, becoming familiar with the current new data hazards
- Most vulnerability scanners usually categorize medium- or small- or low-scale risk
Nikto is a widely revered and open source Web scanner used to determine the possible problems and vulnerabilities.
- This is often used to check if the application versions are obsolete and to search for any real issue affecting the application ‘s functioning.
- Nikto is used to conduct a variety of tests on web servers to search different objects, such as a few dangerous files or programs
- This is not considered a quiet device and is used to test a web server in as little time as possible
- It’s used to search various protocols such as HTTPS, HTTPd, HTTP etc. This tool allows one unique server to search multiple ports.
Developed by Tripwire Inc, Tripwire IP360 is considered a leading vulnerability evaluation tool employed by numerous agencies and organizations to handle their security risks.
- This uses a wide network view to spot all the bugs, settings, programs, network hosts etc.
- It utilizes open standards to help incorporate risk reduction and vulnerability into various business processes
Wireshark is a commonly used network protocol analyzer which is considered to be the most effective tool in the toolkit for security practitioners.
- Wireshark is used across different sources such as government departments, businesses, educational institutions etc. Take a superficial dig at the networks
- This collects problems online and analyzes them offline
- It runs on different platforms, such as Linux, masOS, Windows, Solaris etc.
Aircrack, also known as Aircrack-NG, is a series of instruments used to determine the reliability of the WiFi network.
- Aircrack tools are also used when auditing networks
- It supports several operating systems, such as Linux, OS X, Solaris, Windows, NetBSD etc.
- It focuses on various WiFi Security areas such as monitoring the packets and files, checking drivers and cards, replaying attacks, cracking etc.
- For Aircrack, the missing keys can be recovered by taking the data packets
Nessus Tool is a licensed, proprietary vulnerability scanner that Tenable Network Protection makes.
- It prevents the networks from being compromised by hackers by identifying vulnerabilities as soon as possible
- This can search the vulnerabilities that enable remote hacking of sensitive information from a device
- It supports a wide variety of OS, Dbs, applications and many other devices across cloud, virtual and physical networks
- Millions of users around the world have built it and used it for vulnerability evaluation, configuration issues etc.
Retina CS Community
Retina CS is an open source and web-based app that has assisted in simplifying and centralizing vulnerability management.
- With features such as compliance monitoring, patching and compliance with settings, Retina CS offers an evaluation of risk across platforms
- Retina CS helps save the time, costs and energy required to maintain network security
- This provides automatic vulnerability testing for DBs, web apps, workstations and servers
- Being an open source technology, Retina CS offers complete support for virtual environments such as integration with the vCenter, virtual device scanning etc.
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
MBSA is a free Microsoft tool best suited to protect a Windows machine based on Microsoft’s requirements or guidelines.
- MBSA allows their monitoring mechanism to be improved by reviewing a group of machines for any configuration errors, missed updates and any monitoring patches etc.
- This can only check security patches, service packs and device roll-ups, except essential and optional patches
Medium-sized and small companies use it to monitor the security of their networks
- After scanning a device, MBSA may present some solutions or suggestions relating to vulnerability fixing