What to do if my site has been hacked?
No matter where it is located, every website is susceptible to hacking. There are many ways to protect your website. However, you must first identify the signs that indicate that your site is already compromised.
7 signs are sure to show that your website was hacked.
- Website performance If you monitor your website’s performance regularly, you might quickly notice that certain processes are slowing down or breaking down. This is often a sign that your website was hacked.
- Strange content: You might notice strange content on pages you created after creating a website full of great content. If you look closely at the content, you might find links to other websites selling watches and knock-off designer purses. Your website may have been hacked.
- Broken code: Hackers can either intentionally or unintentionally break code on a website. This can lead to errors. If you notice an increase of errors on your site, it could be hacked.
- Unknown user account: It is important to identify who has access to your CMS, database, or eCommerce applications. To check if you have any unknown users, it is important to periodically review the list of authorized users. Unauthorized user accounts could indicate that your website has been compromised.
- You may see a suspicious IP address repeatedly hitting a page. You may see pages that you don’t recognize in logs being accessed from different IP addresses.
- Unknown plug-ins: Hackers may have gained access to your website by noticing unusual plugins. It is important to find out where and how these plugins were obtained.
- Blacklisting If your website has been compromised to send out spam, or is enlisted in an attack against another website, your website could be blacklisted by search engines and added on to email blacklists.
It is recommended to monitor your website and network regularly, as outlined in the hacking signs. You can use a web security tool to automate scans and detect, remove, and prevent various types of attacks. Install cWatch, a web-security tool by Comodo.
Prevent Future Website Hacks by Installing Comodo cWatch
Customers can use the Comodo cWatch web security tool to monitor and manage threats. It has a unique set of features, which are described below.
- Cyber Security Operations CenterComodo cWatch has a team of always-on cybersecurity professionals who provide round-the-clock monitoring and remediation services.
- Web Application Firewall This is a powerful, real-time edge protection system for websites and web apps. It provides advanced security, filtering, and intrusion prevention.
- Security Information and Event ManagementAdvanced Intelligence that can leverage current events and information from 85M+ endpoints and over 100M+ domains
- PCI scanning Allows service providers and merchants to stay compliant with PCI DSS
- Secure Content Distribution Network (CDN) A global network of distributed servers that improves the performance of web applications and websites.
- Malware Monitoring & RemediationcWatch can detect malware and provide methods and tools to eliminate it. It also helps prevent future malware attacks